The Softest (and Toughest) Bunny I Know, My Coco


It all started with Ermine, he was the first bunny to win my heart. Reading and research told me bunnies were better in pairs, so off I went to get another. I didn't know better then, not having discovered the bunny rescues..  so I ended back up at the feed store, or maybe it was the fact they had baby bunnies. I don't know, all I know is I fell in love with a little black and white bundle of fur. This Rex darling was SOOOO soft, I could not leave her side and she never left mine thereafter.. for the decade granted us with our Coco..


Isn't she gorgeous? A true bundle of energy - running, binky binky, adorable all around.




It didn't take long for her to bond with Ermine, and it took completely... a true bunny love story...

 
...well, except for those rare cases when Ermine would upset Coco and she would pull one of his whiskers out, or sat on him, or generally bossed him around and took his treats. She was a total royal diva bunnygurl princess, after all.
 


Her fur was so soft, I could rub on her for hours. So smart, Coco knew when food was to come, when treats were late, when I just needed some Coco time. Life was perfect.

One day my Coco started dragging her back feet. Off to the vet we went. An old injury was thought to be the cause, possible bone cancer, her hip bone looked like swiss cheese in the xrays.  Having spent the last 5 years going through chemo and radiation with my mom, I wasn't going to put a bunny through that torture. The vet didn't know how long Coco would be with us, maybe 6 months to a year, she said take her home and wait and see.


FOUR years Coco gave me!!.. we began calling her the toughest bunny in the world. Four beautiful years of learning how to rethink disability, think about alternative care and unending love. She never lost faith, got tired of it all, even acted like she was thinking of EVER giving up. Coco would give me kisses when I got things right, nips when it was wrong. She never lost her lovely attitude. My entire day was planned around my bunny sweetheart, morning treats and rubs, after work cage clean and more rubs, nightly meds with banana ending and greens.


Coco never tired of the attention. She did not lose her appetite or lust for life until the very last  days. She loved to come out and play. She would lay on my arm and let me rub on her for as long as I wanted, content to be out and be adored. She adored my husband. She'd be out on the towel.. he would come in the room and she'd try to drag herself over to be near him. He said rubbing her lifted his spirits every single time.

The day finally came when Coco was ready to move on. This is the last picture I have of her, hubby sent it to me at work, Ermine always by her side watching and guarding (and snoring just a little)...

 
Good night my sweetheart.
Thank you for gracing our lives and enriching our souls. You gave us so much.
You were a true treasure.. and are now running, chasing, binkying and bossing our other Bunny Angels around. Ermine misses you and sends his love.
  
We will always love you, our Cocacocacocomo.

Comments

Jade said…
Oh, how that last picture just breaks my heart...

Coco was clearly a bun-in-a-million, and they are always the hardest to part with--they leave holes in our hearts so big that nobunny else can completely fill them.

*HUGS*, *HUGS* and more *HUGS* to you and hubby and the entire Lavender Rabbit warren. Mr. Mick sends nose bonks and bunny kisses as well.
Oh my gosh...I'm so very sorry. Such a beautiful and precious girl. I share your tears and send hugs for your heart. I'm so sorry.
xx
Oh I'm so sorry! Coco was obviously a very special bunny!
Sniff...sniff...such a beautiful story for a beautiful bunSpeedy sends super size speedy snuggles too!
I am so sorry. My prayers, thoughts and hugs are with you during this time. Cinnamon sends bunny kisses and hugs to Ermine and you all as well.

Cocoa is with Lucky and I know they are both having a marvelous time.
Sara

Annette Tait said…
sending love and kisses to you and Ermine xxxx
Coco was a very muchly loved, very special lady and she was blessed to share it with you Donna :) thank you xxx love Annette and Wesley
Karen M said…
Sending hugs and WEasley nose bonks your way. It sounds like Coco was a truly special girl. I.m so sorry for your loss.
bunnits said…
It just breaks my heart when we lose our bun children. I was hesitant to read to the bottom of the post, knowing that I'd probably be in tears by the end. Yep. So sorry she had to go. Hugs to all.
Jennifer said…
So very sorry... We lost our 8 1/2 year old Rex also named Cocoa last month. It's not easy.

*hugs*
Weekend Cowgirl said…
I am so sorry. I know it is so painful to lose a beloved animal. We just lost one of our donkey's and my heart is very heavy also.. They really are special "gifts" to us... I hope your other rabbit is ok and not too sad... and hope you can smile with all the nice memories...
Anonymous said…
What a beatiful story about a lovely bun. Thoughts are with you during the sad time. You are lucky to have all these wonderful memories of Coco - ensuring you'll never forget how dear and special she was. All the best. *bunny hugs*

Popular Posts